Black Panther

 This week I chose to read a few volumes of Black Panther by Christopher Priest. Like the Batman comics, I had very little prior exposure to many Black Panther comics beyond the general MCU adaptation. Overall, it was pretty much what I expected from a superhero comic, with lots of familiar and captivating characters along with a solid storyline of lore and politics in the world. I recognized some changes that they made regarding the film, which I think makes the comics version of T’Challa all the more unique. From an artist's perspective, it was very fun to see how Priest illustrated his version with such glowing color effects and bold expressions, it was almost as if each panel could be a spotlight cover in its own right. I also enjoyed a lot of small humor splashed in between, which I see a lot of the MCU films tend to incorporate in their scripts as well (though in my opinion sometimes I do feel like these moments play out better in comic panel form). Jumping from Batman to this, there was a pretty clear divide in these stories with tone and style, with each story I think trying to bring out a different thought process within their reader demographic even though they can both be categorized into the “superhero” genre. This only goes to show how broad the entire genre of heroes is, and how different focuses and characters can make or break the game of simple “good and bad” characters that we have evolved from in storytelling. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics (3 points)

Wecomics, Octopus Pie (5 points)