The Killing Joke (2 points)

 1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?

I haven’t read that many Batman comics in my time, but I think this was a wonderful example to start off with. I think the writer did an excellent job portraying the dark tone of the characters, showing that the theme of Batman is not always that of your shiny heroic superhero story. My expectations really shifted in the middle of the story, where they didn’t hold back in displaying exactly how nasty the Joker could be. It’s writing on idealistic society and human morals were also very interesting to read about because I think it breaks the assumption that every superhero story should simply have a right and wrong side. While I by no means agree with the Joker’s actions, I can sort of see what his reasoning is for falling down into a state of madness. The corresponding artwork was enticing as well, which I thought was cohesive, detailed, and downright scary to look at at some points. 


2. What connections did you make with the story? Discuss what elements of the story with which you were able to connect?

At first, I didn’t really think I had many connections with anyone in this story because everyone’s experiences seemed to be very specific. I guess if anything, I can understand the pressure that the Joker was feeling in his previous life as a comedian to meet social and economic demands. As a college student, following my dream of art is something I have always wanted to pursue but like the Joker, there really is no guarantee that it will ever bring financial stability even if it does make me happy. The regulations of society to monetize our hobbies is something I see in real life constantly, diminishing many people from ever really distinguishing what they enjoy and what they’re good at. 


3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you choose; what changes would you make?

I personally believe that this story worked well for the comic book medium. I think the illustrations are especially unique, and give off a sort of scary yet dramatic vibe that some films and/or actors wouldn’t be able to match. The way the story is told with color and paneling is also very crucial to how readers perceive the events as well, so I can’t really say that shifting it into an entirely different medium would be the best course of action. Instead, I know there are many webcomics online that implement motion graphics and sometimes sound into their comics to heighten the mood and such, which I think would be the icing on the cake for a story like this. 


4. In what ways does this story differ from the typical expectations the reader might have for a superhero story?

This story definitely doesn’t shy away from the dark and uncomfortable parts of the Joker’s morals, and his actions are pretty clearly represented as he taunts Batman and Jim Gordon alike. The boldness of lines and sheer shock in people’s expressions are pretty unsettling, and you can really sense a feeling of terror and dread versus the “the hero is here and everything will be okay” type of inspirational hero stories. Even when Batman arrives, there are still consequences and casualties to show that nothing the Joker does will ever really be forgotten. When I picture superheroes, I think of the typical “save the day” situation many are placed into, with their goals of defeating the “bad guys” being accomplished quite quickly. Batman and Joker have a long and complicated history that is never destined to end well, so having that increasingly tense danger during every Batman story is something to look forward to but also fear. It also makes you think about Joker’s perspective of society as well, whereas I think a typical superhero story you are constantly rooting for the hero’s side. With a story like this, both sides have good and bad blood on their hands making the morals behind their actions even more interesting.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics (3 points)

Wecomics, Octopus Pie (5 points)

Black Panther