Week 8 Manga Cartoonist Track






 For this route, I wanted to create a short and simple story of a hungry girl, with art loosely based on my own apartment with a little added flair. This style was heavily inspired by Q Hayashida’s art, most notably her approach to linework in her series Dorohedoro. I have just recently been observing many horror-themed types of art, and am always interested in how different artists illustrate sort of darker themes. In Hayashida’s case, a wide range of her illustrations are crowded, detailed, and super loose. From a distance, there is always so much to look at that it sometimes seems overwhelming, but when you zoom in it’s not hard to notice how incredibly sketchy the linework actually is, which I thought was pretty interesting. Most of the “horror” aspect I can see comes from a lot of this messiness, with body horror and bloody often being portrayed as messy and chaotic. I really wanted to capture this sense of chaos even within a panel that has no big action in it, so a lot of my linework is improvised, with only a super vague and light sketch being done beforehand. I wanted to let my mind be free of constrictions, so I completed it in parts so while working I could switch up lots of different elements at random. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Comics (3 points)

Wecomics, Octopus Pie (5 points)

Black Panther